Wednesday 3 April 2013

Outsmarting Ourselves



 

Helloo0O Ladies and Gentlemen!

Welcome back to the Inspire Halton Update Feed, where we send you stories to improve your live and the lives of those you love. Today we’re going to talk about knowledge and our occasional lack of it.

It doesn’t seem that long ago.

I was moving for the second time in my life. I’d already started a new school. I’d made friends and started to settle in. But I hadn’t moved into my house yet.

It was a beautiful new place, much larger than the place I’d previously lived in. I couldn’t wait for the change.

The closing date came; we left our old house for good.

We moved in with our four beautiful cats.

But, by the next day, disaster’d struck. One of our cats was missing.

We searched all over the house, we looked in boxes. I, in despair, walked around the neighbourhood. And I realized something.

All the houses looked the same. There was no way my cat would find its way home. I’d lost him.

I got home, nearly in tears, and went upstairs to bed.

Days later, we were looking in the basement and who did we find but our cat, alive and well. Apparently he’d been scared into hiding by the change of location but was otherwise fine. 

Man, I was happy.

Oftentimes we overestimate our conclusions. We’re brilliant beings and right many times, but sometimes we need to let go of our judgements, our assumptions of what something means; to do as much as we can, then let our work play out.

As I’d done all I could to find my cat, you can do all you can to win someone over, get a raise, or enact change. But, if it doesn’t appear to work, give yourself a break.

You never know, you could be wrong and that person might be a future ally. Your boss might change their mind the next day and your efforts might suddenly become fruitful.

You never, really know for sure

Alex H.

No comments:

Post a Comment